Friday, November 9, 2007

My family...

So in one of my classes the othe day we were talking about the defination of family. We decided that it is not limited to those related to you by blood or marriage. I just sat there thinking how very true that was. I sat there and thought of those I consider my family and only two people who are related to me would be on that list. When I tell people that I'm going home for Christmas to spend time with my family, that family is actually Emily, Les and the rest of that crew. They have become much more of a family to me than then my "real" family ever did.

I consider so many of my sweet friends my family. I will repeat what I said in my last blog, I am so very blessed to have AMAZING friends! Those people who love me know me and love me for who I am.

Well with all this said... I was sitting at On the Border Tuesday with the girls, it was right after we had talked about families in class, and my phone rings. The number on it is a number from my home town Vero Beach, fl. I don't answer it becasue I think it's rude to talk on the phone when your with people. So anyhow I check the message a little while later, it's my brother. Now it's been almost a year since I've talked to him so I pretty much know something is wrong. Anyhow I call him back, and we chat for awhile (and for those of you who know anything about Marc the update is he sounds SO good! He's been sober for 3 weeks now. He has 10 months to serve which he will do after Christmas). And then he tells me that mom has been diagonsed with breast cancer. I don't really know what to say to that. He continues to tell me what is gonna happen (surgery etc...) Then she comes out to where he is and begins saying all kinds of stuff about it. She is obvisouly drunk and she is repeating everything she says like 5 times. She goes on for awhile about me going in to get checked out yada yada yada... Then she says "Tell her I love her even though she doesn't want me to" This statement made me SO mad. All I have ever wanted was for her to love me and she may say the words but her actions always show elsewise. So anyhow thats that. I don't know what to do with the info. I made a decision to not be a part of her life until she stops choosing her addictions over me (which she hasn't) and so I know for the protection of my heart I can't be there for her in this. It was so weird though cause it was the first time I've heard her voice in almost 3 years. It reminded me that I've made the right decision.

So I thank you all who are reading this whom I consider I family. You know who you are and I love you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen,
I'm so sorry you are having to deal with yet another tough situation. It's been a hard year for you.

Know that we are proud to have you in the family. Christmas wouldn't be the same with out you!

Love, Les

EWH said...

Ditto to what Les said. We're here for you always. Much love!!!