Wednesday, September 12, 2007

To love well...

I feel like my mind and heart have been in a million different places over the past week. I am continuing to process through everything that has happened. I have realized how short life really is and how there are so many things that I put off until "tomorrow". Well I've decided to make today my tomorrow.

My roommate Holly and I were talking about love the other day. It is amazing how the slightest amount of love can change someones life. How one compliment can change someones day. And also how the lack of love can cause permanent damage and holes in one's heart. I have experienced both of these things, and I believe that through it I am beginning to learn how to love well.

One of the things I have realized is that I am not using my gifts and talents. I am not living out the desires of my heart. If someone were to ask me what I truely have a passion for I would answer working with people, especially younger women. For some reason I have the ability to love others and live in compassion for people. I love to walk alongside women and girls who are struggling. I love to serve others. As I look at my life currently people would not know this about me because I am so consumed in myself. This is where I want to change. I want to use the gifts and compassion the Lord has given me to help others.

So I have decided to volunteer at an after-school program in the inner-city. I will be going in and mentoring high school girls who just need someone to love them. I pray that I may step outside of myself and serve and love these young women!

I hope that when people look at my life they will say, "She loves well!"

4 comments:

EWH said...

What an excellent idea! I'm so excited for you. Those girls are blessed to have you about to come into their lives.

I often think about how I would like to be perceived, and I usually come back to "kind". This is a constant struggle for a sarcastic, often cynical, know-it-all, self-defined bitch. But I'm working towards it every day. I make it my practice to say "please", "Thank you", and whenever possible "yes". Meaning it is important, but not always possible. But still, I try.

Kisses.

Anonymous said...

I don't think anyone could ever look at you and see someone who is consumed in herself. You are far from that, Jen, and I admire you for it.

~Les

EWH said...

I really think Les needs to blog...then it would be a happy little sister circle...

Jen said...

I totally agree! Come on Les... all the cool kids are doing it!!