Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Medical mystery solved!

So as many of you may know I tend to be a bit of a medical mystery! I spent about 6 months back in 2006 going though pretty much all the tests known to the GI doctors, all to come back showing me I was a healthy 25 year old. I was told by one doctor that it must be Cancer since we ruled everything else out (and then he told me I couldn't get in for the test for 4 weeks!). I recommend that a doctor NEVER do this!!! The symptoms I was having eventually just went away on their own, only surfacing twice at random times throughout the next few months. Then in 2007 I was having intense abdominal pain. My doctor prescribed Cipro to combat an infection she thought I had. Turns out I am allergic to Cipro and I went into Renal failure. This is an extremely rare reaction to the drug (1 in 1,000,000).

As I wrote on Sunday I was in a lot of pain, it only continued to get worse on Monday. Yesterday I went into the clinic. At first they could not figure out what was wrong with me (surprise, surprise) but I finally got a diagnosis! I have epiploic appendagitis. Granted this usually is diagnosed in late 40's early 50's. It is the same thing that I originally had when I was prescribed Cipro. Basically the fatty tissue on my appendix is inflamed. I was told I don't need surgery, the pain will go away in about a week. So I'm home in bed today. It's nice to know what wrong for once but am sad to know that this type of pain can come on at anytime if it gets inflamed again.

No comments: