Monday, July 21, 2008

The Best Day...

These three words came out of the mouth of our fellow volunteer many times on Friday. Ricky took all five of the volunteers out for the day and Christy continued to say that it was the best day. And I would agree with her!

First we went to Ricky's house to meet up with him and his wife and then we headed out for the day. We first went to a cave which was pretty amazing. We walked up many steps and then down many steps into the cave. I had such mixed emotions as we entered the cave. First I was amazed at how beautiful it was! It was a huge cave that was all naturally made... it was beautiful. But my heart was also filled with sadness, all throughout the cave were large idols. There were buddha statues and little figurines and places to light candles and incense to buddha. Idol worship is very real here, there are idols everywhere and they even have little house that are meant for the demons. It was so sad to me to see all of these idols in a place that God has created so beautifully! I began to think about in the old testament when it talks about going to the caves to worship false idols, this gave me a very real picture of that. I was an amazing experience!


Then we went to the Hot Springs. Here we boiled eggs in the hot springs! And then ate them with soy sauce while our feet soaked in the cooler part of the hot springs. We then went and took a mineral bath which I must say was just AMAZING!!


Afterwards we came back to Chiang Mai and had Japanese food which was extremely good! It was my first sushi experience which turned out to be very good. We then went back to Ricky's house for coffee and to relax a bit, while there we got some amazing news. Ricky decided to rearrange the schedule so that we would be able to go on a trip to Mymnar! They were planning on going the day before we leave but he rearranged and we will now be able to go! I'm so excited!!! And then that we went to the Night Bazaar where we shopped, and bargained with the locals (I do love this about foreign countries!) and then we had just enough time to get a 30 min foot massage and can I say it was 30 minutes of heaven!


So that was our best day! The next day was long (I didn't sleep at all due to a Thai tea at supper and then coffee!) and it was sad to see Holly leave. She left to go go home Saturday night. Sunday after the service we went and got Thai massages! And let me tell you they were AMAZING!!! It was 100Baht for 1 hour which is about $3! Arianne and I took one of the older girls here at the orphanage and got her one also and she loved it!


All in all in was a good weekend! We teach tomorrow and Wednesday and then a team gets here on Wednesday and we will be on a new schedule. I'm sure I'll have lots of fun stories for you!

No comments: